Sunday, July 11, 2010

Eggplant Fries!!

Yummy.

I had two nice eggplant this morning, so we thought we'd do eggplant fries with our lunch.


I don't do anything special to eggplant before I cook it- I know some people do- but this is how we've always done it, and we don't ever have bitter eggplant. For fries, I just cut the eggplant into strips:


Also, if you want exact measurements from me, I don't have them. I just throw and go- most recipes aren't scaled for the amount of food we need, so I've had to learn to eyeball and guess at amounts. Sooo, once your eggplant is cut into strips, you need to put them in some beaten egg (I used two), and just give them a good toss to make sure they are all well coated.


Once the eggplant is coated with egg, it goes into bowl of seasoned cornmeal- I just added salt and pepper- and again, I didn't really measure. I tossed them around again to make sure they were all well coated with cornmeal.

Then, they go into some heated oil in a skillet- about 1/4"- not enough to cover them completely but enough to brown one side. This only takes a few seconds, seriously, so don't put too many in there because they'll all get brown at once and you will end up not being able to get them all out quickly enough. Just turn to brown on all sides, then drain on a paper towel.

They're all done- crisp on the outside and creamy on the inside- and surprisingly light tasting.


5 comments:

  1. Those look so good... I can't wait to try this recipe out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were gone so fast- the kids can inhale all of these that I can cook, lol. They ate them with catsup. Glad you liked the recipe =0).

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a cool recipe! Can't wait to try it!! Thanks SO much for posting... I love eggplant but am kind of in a rut when it comes to figuring out what to cook with them... THANKS!

    ReplyDelete